Setup Wireless MAC Filtering On Linksys Routers
Wireless MAC Filtering Overview
The Linksys router provides a couple of wireless security function to help you restrict access to your wireless network. Therefore, you can give wireless access to only trusted users. One of the security functions that you can use is the Linksys Wireless MAC Filtering tool. Using this tool, you’ll be able to block untrusted wireless devices by adding their MAC addresses to the Linksys router’s filter MAC Address list. Moreover, you can authorize trusted wireless device by adding their MAC addresses to the router’s permit MAC Address list.
Wireless MAC Filtering Setup Process
- Launch your Internet browser program.
- In the Address filed, type the IP address 192.168.1.1, and then press Enter.
- Type admin for the admin username and password. This is the default setting for a lot of Linksys routers. On the other hand, in some Linksys router versions, you should leave the username field blank and enter admin in the password field.
- Click on the Wireless tab.
- Click Wireless Access.
- Click on Restrict Access to limit access to your network. Otherwise, click. Allow All.
- Click on Prevent to block access for devices seen in the MAC Address Filter list. Otherwise, click on Permit only.
- Click on Edit MAC Address Access List.
- Enter the MAC address(es) of the concerned computer(s) in one of these formats: xxxxxxxxxxxx or xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, where X has a value in the range of 0-9 or A-F.
- Click on Save Settings, and then close the window.